måndag 12 november 2012

Obituary

I feel like I've passed another milestone in this involuntary grieving process.  My Mother's obituary and words of remembrance were in the newspaper on Saturday.  I am pleased with how they both turned out, but it is surreal to see my Mom's picture on those pages - she doesn't belong in that part of the newspaper...
Below is the link to the ad the way it looked in the paper:
http://op.se/slaktvanner/minnesord/1.5278895-monica-nordenstrom

And this is what the obituary looked like:

Vår älskade Mamma
Mormor, Dotter och
Syster
Monica
Nordenström
2 mars 1945
har fridfullt somnat in
Näcksta
31 oktober 2012
Erika och Danny
Skyler, Porter, Oliver
Mamma Runa och
Härje
Sune och Kerstin
med familj
Se Dig omkring - jag
finns redan här....
Jag är skuggan på
marken. Jag är luften
som Dig bär.
Hör mig viska i vinden.
Se mitt solstänk i Ditt
hår.
Våra vägar har ej
splittrats - jag följer
vart Du går.
Begravningsgudstjänsten
äger rum i Marieby kyrka
fredag 23/11 kl 13.30.
Därefter inbjuds till minnesstund
på Mariagården.
O.s.a senast 19/11 till Ellebrinks
begravningsbyrå
063-102181. Tänk gärna
på Cancerfonden och
Bassefonden.


Here is a translation of the words of remembrance:


My beloved, wonderful mother, Monica has passed away on October 31. She was 67 years old.

It is hard to try to describe my mother's life in just a few columns. Her personality was so much bigger than that. The first thing I want to express is the enormous gratitude I feel for her life and the feelings she has passed on to me and so many others.

Monica was born at the country grocery store in Marieby that her mother Runa owned. She had a great childhood and Monica was curious. She left home as a 14 year old to work as an Au-Pair in London for two years.

Many know Monica as an enthusiast, a businesswoman and a go-getter in all the projects and organizations that she has taken a part in. Working for the city she made a big impact in projects for the elderly. Fitness for elderly, "Tuesday-fun at Jamtli" and theater performances for retirees just to name a few. She was also a performer herself and was a part of a month long New Years theater twelve seasons in a row.

When Monica was one of the people starting up Östersund's own youth circus Kul & Bus she became a circus manager full time and ran the circus for 16 years. My mother appreciated every single child and I've been told by many that she was not only a leader - she supported, listened and changed many lives. She also cared for children in hospital settings and volunteered as a hospital clown at the children's ward at Östersund's hospital. 1990 Monica was awarded the price Årets Gregorius and 1995 the city of Östersund's culture stipend for her work in the circus.

When she later on moved back to our family farm in Marieby she decided to start a bakery. The plan was for it to be a hobby but my mother got involved in multiple organizations that promote organic foods and local produce. She started a popular summer cafe' and later also a winter cafe' with hearty soups and amazing breads. She was also involved in many other organizations preserving the village history or promoting cultural events in the village as well as starting up Mariagillet - a group that want to spread the word of the Pilgrim trail S:t Olav. 

My mother has had some very tough setbacks in her life. The most challenging was when she lost her first born twins and later in life my big sister, Andréa. Through it all she has still had an amazing strength and ability to appreciate life. As a parent she was supportive and present. Even though I've spent the last 18 years in the USA we were so very close. My favorite moments were when I, with my morning cup of tea and she, with her afternoon cup of tea almost daily sat and talked in front of the computer. 

When the grandchildren arrived she was the proudest grandmother ever! She had the privilege to be present during the delivery of the first two in California, which according to her were some of the greatest experiences of her life.

Monica never stopped looking forward. In the middle of tough chemo treatments she bought herself a house. In six months she has renovated, cleared the woods, built a road, built a second cottage and created the most wonderful little place that she called "my place on earth".

I'm so happy that my family and I this spring made the decision of moving to Sweden to be here for my mom. We have had an amazing summer and fall together and have all, thanks to my mother, found a profound peace and calmness that will follow us the rest of our lives.

Monica was very caring of her family, surroundings, friends and neighbors and is missed by her mother Runa & Härje, brother Sune & Kerstin with family, myself & Danny with our children Skyler, Porter and Oliver.

With enormous love and admiration,
Erika Nordenström


As my uncle Sune and I said on the phone on Saturday - We made it through this step too and we will be fine...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar